OF AMERICA, INC.

Group Occupational Accident Programs

TIA has contracted with various insurance carriers to write Occupational Accident Insurance for any size group.

                                                                Occupational Accident

Truckers Occupational Accident Insurance is customized for motor carriers and independent contractor/owner operators providing coverage for accidental death or dismemberment, accident-related medical expenses,  temporary and continuous total disability.

Independent Contractor/Owner Operators, depending on their state of domicile, have various alternatives to Workers’ Compensation. Some might opt for an Occupational Accident only program. Most others will opt for a combination of either Occupational Accident & CL (Contingent Liability) or Occupational Accident & “If Any” Workers’ Compensation. Below is a brief description of each type of coverage. Please note that in no event can an Owner Operator opt for CL or “If Any” on a standalone basis. An Occupational Accident policy must always be written, as this is the primary coverage form.

                                                                    Contingent  Liability   

CL responds only in the event that an owner-operator is deemed, or is seeking to be deemed, and employee of a motor carrier by a workers' compensation board, bureau or court.

CL is written on anon-admitted, surplus lines paper, to eligible employer groups only, not associations.

Coverage A
Benefits up to or equivalent to statutory workers' compensation.

Coverage B
Benefits equivalent to Employers' Liability. Following are the standard limits (higher limits may be available):
$100,000 Bodily Injury by Accident, each accident
$500,000 Bodily Injury by Disease, policy limit
$100,000 Bodily Injury by Disease, each employee


* The CL policy and the occupational accident policy have the same effective date. Accord forms issued by the broker
   are proof of on-the-job coverage to the motor carrier and his/her insurance carrier.
* Broker/Agent must be surplus line licensed in the state in which the policy is written.
* Broker/Agent is responsible for all necessary filings and remittance of surplus lines taxes and fees.
* Broker/Agent must show proof of all necessary filings to the Program Administrator.

                                                               "If Any" Workers' Compensation  

In the event a claim for Workers' Compensation is made against the Independent Contractor/Owner Operator by a "Casual Laborer", the "If Any" Workers' Compensation policy will defend against "employee status"; however, in the event the "Casual Laborer" is deemed an employee of the Independent Contract/Owner Operator, Workers' Compensation benefits will be paid, as may be determined to apply to the "Casual Laborer". State Law permits Executive Officers, Partners and Sole Proprietors to exclude themselves from coverage and is a requirement of the "If Any" Workers' Compensation Policy. In addition, the Policy will be endorsed to include an Alternate Employer Endorsement extending coverage to the Participant Sponsor in the event a Workers' Compensation claim is brought by the Independent Contractor/Owner Operator for "Employee" status. Please note the "If Any" Workers' Compensation Policy is not available to Independent Contractor/Owner Operators residing in monopolistic states nor is it available in North Carolina.

Workers' Compensation Limits:    Statutory
Employers Liability Limits:            $1,000,000 - Each Accident
                                                                    $1,000,000 - Disease Policy Limit
                                                                    $1,000,000 - Disease Each Employee

Click here for our Group Occupational Accident Insurance Application.

If you are not yet a TIA Contracted Agency, click here.


Truck Insurance Of America, Inc.
3605 Sandy Plains Road
Suite 240-420
Marietta, GA 30066-3068